When we went Paleo right before the holiday season, we were faced with the challenge of coming up with something we could take to holiday parties for a snack. It had to be tasty and interesting, but we were trying to stay away from sugar as much as possible. Cara came up with this recipe, which has become a massive favorite around our house. I refer to them as Crack Nuts, but I was told I’m not allowed to make drug references, so let’s call them Savory Mixed Nuts, shall we?
Savory Mixed Nuts
1 egg white
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary (The keyword here is fresh. The fresher the better. It makes a hell of a difference, trust me.)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground garlic powder
1/3 teaspoon cajun seasoning
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 cup each of raw almonds, cashews, pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, beat the egg white until it’s nice and thick and foamy and there’s no clear liquid leftover.
3. Mix together the herbs and spices and stir into the egg white. Then stir in the nuts and evenly coat.
4. Spread the nuts in a single layer on a jelly roll pan or rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes.
5. Take the nuts out and reduce the heat to 250.
6. Toss around then spread out again and cook for an additional 15 minutes.